- About Us
- Student Support
The Department of Microbiology was established in the academic year 1996. It comprises all the essential equipment and provides a holistic atmosphere for the students to work around. The lab is well designed with the latest modern types of equipment like Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, Shaker, Incubator, Microscope, Colorimeter, Laminar air flow chamber, Cooling centrifuge etc. Isolation and separation of genetic materials and protein can be done and viewed, and gel conjugation is also done. Facilities are available with necessary pieces of equipment for quantitative estimation of biologically important macromolecules, carbohydrates, protein, and nucleic acids, secondary metabolites like alkaloids, tannins, and polyphenolics. Students are trained to produce cheese, ethanol, and citric acid from the microbes. Quantitative and qualitative studies of soil Microflora, their antagonistic effect, and antimicrobial activities are studied. Department has excellent library facilities, which includes latest editions of Books, Journals and Magazines covering all fields of Microbiology, Virology, Bacteriology, Microbial Physiology, Microbial Genetics, Pathology, Mycology and Parasitology, Immunology etc. In addition, the department has received two major research grants from funding agencies TNSCST for research work . The department is vibrant with various programs, seminars, symposiums, conferences, and workshops to enhance the learning of the students. It has also eminently organized, participated and presented several papers in seminars and conferences. The aim of our Department is to promote quality and value-based education by motivating the practical skills of students and create awareness on the recent advances in Microbiology and research fields worldwide, which will make each student a better citizen of India by applying their practical skills for the enlistment of the country. We are conducting certificate courses like Food processing and preservation and mushroom cultivation. So that they can be self-employed. Placement training classes to get placed in both private and government sectors. Providing Mini Project work, Journal paper presentation session, Practice the student to write the manuscript, Encourage the student to present project work in conferences. To promote inquisitiveness among students and inculcate scientific knowledge among them, the department is actively having a club "AMICROZ", which is conducting many seminars and conferences with eminent personalities to give our students an opportunity to interact with experts in different areas of Microbiology. AMICROZ club offers a good platform for students to partake in various activities to exhibit their acquired skills. Department of Microbiology , have signed an MOU with Golden Jubilee Biotech Park for Women Society, Chennai.The Microbiology students are sent 15 days- 1 month internship to various industries, research centres, pathology laboratories and hospitals like Bose clinical lab, Aavin Milk, Appolo hospital, Meenakshi mission hospital, Aravind eye care Lab etc to expose them to the application of the subject and also to gain hands on training. As part of Academic Visits and Industrial Visits students visit at Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSIR-CSMCRI), Mandapam, Rameswaram and Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (ICAR-CMFRI), Mandapam, Rameswaram ,Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) and CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography, both in Ernakulam, Kochi, The students are oriented towards ongoing research in these fields and their applications. The department has taken the students on Industrial Visits to various places.
The Department strives to provide high quality education in the field of Microbiology and Biological sciences to produce world class, highly qualified competent and socially responsible graduates who work together to achieve the goals.
- To provide a basic and fundamental knowledge in life sciences that includes the skills in the theory and practical.
- To promote good quality of education and inspiring training in various disciplines of Microbiology.
- To create a conducive environment for innovation and application in the field of Microbiology.
- To train the students in both practical and theoretical aspects of Microbiology.
- To motivate and guide the students to develop new techniques in Microbiology.
- To achieve excellence in academic and employment career in the field of biological sciences.
|Name of Programme||Year of Affiliation|
CLUB/ASSOCIATIONName of the club: AMICROZ CLUB (SF STREAM)
To promote inquisitiveness among students and inculcate scientific knowledge among them, the department is actively having a club "AMICROZ", which is conducting many seminars and conferences with eminent personalities to give our students an opportunity to interact with experts in different areas of Microbiology. Amicroz, offers a good platform for students to partake in various activities to exhibit their acquired skills.
- Department of Microbiology got permission on 15.04.2021 for starting Microbiology Club - AMICROZ. The Microbiology Club AMICROZ where the students and staff can interact and share knowledge about scientific research by organizing guest lectures, seminars and annual conference etc. The club activities would be fully organized by the Final year B.Sc., and M.Sc., Microbiology students
- The Department of Microbiology has conducted club activities on different aspects of Microbiology as a part of AMICROZ CLUB activity on 18/12/2021.
- Department of Microbiology, The Madura College organized an event in "AMICROZ CLUB". On 1st November 2021. On that occasion Dr. S. Suriyanarayanan, Chief Coordinator (SF), The Madura College released "ENTREPRENEUR MAGAZINE" which was specially created by our former students of II M.Sc., Microbiology (2019-2021 batch).
- National Science Day was celebrated by AMICROZ club, The department of Microbiology of the Madura College on 04.03.2022. Various competitions such as Drawing, Collage, Rangoli, Photography and Model making competitions to stimulate the scientific and artistic abilities of student were conducted throughout the day. All the students were enthusiastically participated in the contests.
- The Department of Microbiology has conducted club activities on different aspects of Microbiology as a part of AMICROZ CLUB activity on 27/02/2023
- Establishment of Department-Industry collaboration.
- Environmental Consultancy Services to the society, industries etc.
- To obtain different (Major\Manor) research projects for the academic & infrastructural development of the Department.
- Collaboration with National Institutions