|Course||Year of Affiliation|
|M.A (AIDED)||1989 Upgraded into PG|
|B.A (SELF FINANCE)||2012|
The Department of Sociology came into existence in 1966 offering Bachelor’s Degree Course in Social Sciences. Later in 1969 the Department began to offer B.A. Degree course in Sociology. In 1989 the Department became an exclusively Post-Graduate Centre offering the Sociology Course. In 1996 the Department had celebrated the Silver Jubilee year. The distinguished alumni of the Department speak volumes for the intellectual depth of the faculty throughout its history.
Over the years the Department had built up an enviable infrastructure with a well-stocked library. The Department has established links with other such Departments in the State. We have designed syllabi taking into consideration the socio-economic scenario of the region.
Besides the regular academic activities, the Department conducts seminars, field visits and inter-collegiate cultural events through its club called AHEM.
Aims and Objectives
1. To provide students an opportunity to investigate, analyze and understand social problems and the existing social system.
2. To create awareness of the dynamic nature of society resulting from modernization, globalization and liberalization.
3. To expose students to the sociological theories that help to gather reliable facts for understanding the society.
4. To learn and appreciate the true sense and spirit of our cultural heritage.
5. To increase the reasoning power of the students.
6. To inculcate the awareness of morality, social commitment, social justice and good citizenship.
7. To help students to plan their future course of action keeping the needs of society in mind.
- Only college in Madurai to have B.A & M.A in Sociology.
- Only Pioneering Department down South after Chennai.
- Rich Collection of books in the Department Library.
- Need- based extension Activity
- Strong theoretical and Practical Knowledge are imparted to the students.
- Updated with modern teaching gadgets.
- Good Placement record.
- Good Strength in U.G. as well as in P.G
- Our Students are working as Teaching fraternity in many Colleges and Universities throughout Tamilnadu and Pondicherry.
The M.A. Sociology syllabus now covers the essential conventional Papers like Foundations of Sociology, Sociological Theory, Social Research and Statistics, Indian Social Structure. It also offers specialized papers like Sociology of Mass Communication, Human Resource Management, Social Demography, Rural Reconstruction and Development, Sociology of Environment, Sociology of Health and Action Sociology. The Course is designed in such a way that our students will be suitable for many segments of the labor market and also for higher research work in many new branches in the field of Sociology. It satisfies the requirements of UPSC, TNPSC, and NET/ SET Examinations. The Course provides scope of employment in the Departments which deal with Social Welfare, Rehabilitation, Public Health, Rural and Urban Planning, Pollution Control, Journalism and Communication besides Industrial Labor and Marketing.
- 1. Dr. S.VIDHYA, M.A.,M.Phil., Ph.D -Assistant Professor and Co-ordinator Profile
- 2. Ms.S.RAJALAKSHMI, M.A., M.Phil., - Assistant Professor Profile
- 3. Mrs.N.DEEPA, M.A., M.Phil., - Assistant Professor Profile
- 4. Dr.P.ANBAZHAGAN, M.A., M.Phil.,Ph.D - Assistant Professor Profile
Sucession Of Hod's :
1. Prof.Rukamni Manthangini – Head (1966-1971)
2. Dr.C.N.Natarajan – Head (1971-1985)
3. Dr.G.Ramathirtham – Head (1985-1993)
4. Dr.S.Chockalingam – Head (1993-2012)
5. Prof.V.Sambasivan – Vice - Principal (SF) and Head (2012-16)
6. Dr.S.Vidhya – (Co-ordinator) (2016 till date)
Department Library :
|Number of Books available in the UG Library||201|
|Number of Books available in the PG Library||1796|
|Total No Of Books Available||1997|
Rich and Rare collections of books are available in the Department Library
Equipments & Library Gallery
Gallery Document Download