|Course||Year of Affiliation|
Welcome to Department of Commerce of the Madura College.
It gives me an immense pleasure to lead the Department of Commerce (68th year of academic excellence) since June 2015. Being an alumnus of the great institution, I am very much privileged to be a Head of the great department where I did my under graduate programme. Our college is one of the premier autonomous institutions in South India offering B.Com course unique like a prism reflecting the manifold shades of learning and co-curricular activities.
The department was established in the year 1947-48 and since its inception the department has evolved from offering only undergraduate course till 1994-95. At various stages, we could able to bring two sections of B.Com., (Boys and Girls) M.Com., M.Phil and B.Com (Professional Accounting) under self financing stream and the Department also laid proposal to start B.Com (Banking and Insurance) and B.Com (Capital Market) for the Academic year 2017-18.
The very motto of our department is to provide quality education. The Department is striving hard towards the goal of providing innovative and quality education with high standard to achieve academic excellence by updated curriculum in the commerce field. The department strives to provide a conductive environment for the students to develop analytical and practical skills and apply them to real world problems.
We welcome you to the Department of Commerce as undergraduate or post graduate or research student and we hope to be part of your success.
(Dr.A.Mayil Murugan - HOD-Commerce)
To make the department a modern School of Commerce and even beyond… College of Commerce
To provide high quality commerce education to enable the students to become well qualified professionals such as Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Company Secretaries, Managers and Entrepreneurs.
- Only college in Madurai to have B.A & M.A in Sociology.
- Only Pioneering Department down South after Chennai.
- Rich Collection of books in the Department Library.
- Need- based extension Activity
- Strong theoretical and Practical Knowledge are imparted to the students.
- Updated with modern teaching gadgets.
- Good Placement record.
- Good Strength in U.G. as well as in P.G
- Our Students are working as Teaching fraternity in many Colleges and Universities throughout Tamilnadu and Pondicherry.
1. To prepare the students for advanced levels of learning in the fields of Accounting, Finance, Marketing and other emerging areas.
2. To prepare and encourage the students to opt for professional courses.
3. To enable the students for developing social and managerial skills.
4. To inculcate ethical values in personal and social life.
5. To enable students to apply theoretical knowledge to practical situation through necessary training
Objectives Translation into Programmes
Many of our students have proved their mettle and have become leading Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants and challenging Company Secretaries in reputed companies in India and Abroad. Of late many students have become financial controller, CFO, Management consultants and accounts officers in government, Public and Private sector Institutions. Few students have their own businesses. Some of our students have become very good scholars suited to the academic line, have become renowned professors. We are very glad to sate that some of the professors in our department were former students of the department.
Milestones of the Department
|1947-48||Department was Established|
|1978-79||Autonomous Status Conferred to the college|
|1978-79||First Syllabus framed under Autonomy|
|1982-83||B.Com under SF Started|
|1984-85||Second Revision of Autonomy syllabus|
|1994-95||Third Revision of Autonomy syllabus|
|1994-95||M.Com under SF Started|
|1997-98||M.F.C and Girls Section of B.Com under SF started|
|1998-99||Golden Jubilee Celebrations|
|1999-00||Fourth Revision (Practical Commerce introduced) of Syllabus|
|2002-03||Fifth Revision of Syllabus|
|2004-05||Revision of syllabus for PG only|
|2005-06||Choice Based Credit System Introduced|
|2008-09||Sixth Complete Revision of Syllabus under CBCS Pattern both UG and PG|
|2012-13||M.Phil (Commerce) under SF Started|
|2013-14||B.Com (Professional Accounting) under Self Finance Stream|
|2016-17||Separate Commerce Lab & E Chamber inaugurated |
|2016-17||Seventh Revision -Plan to revise the syllabus completely for B.Com (General), M.Com & M.Phil.|
|2016-17||Proposed to submit proposal to Start Research Centre.|
|2016-17||Proposed to submit proposal to start B.Com (Banking & Insurance) and B.Com (Capital Market) under SF.|
- In Tune with developments in Finance, Trade, Industry and Commerce, New papers on Foreign Trade, Investment Management, Insurance, Operations Research, Financial management, International Financial management, E-Commerce have been introduced.
- Papers on Value Education and Environmental Studies have been introduced to inculcate social responsibilities among the students.
- Special emphasis is given to test the knowledge on practical aspect of the subjects through case studies and problem solving.
- The department is regularly organizing field visits for the students to know the practical aspects of the commerce subjects.
- Students are also deputed to undergo training in the Office of Various chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants of in and around Madurai City.
ICT as a Learning Source:
- All the faculty members are using the computer aided teaching/ learning materials for their class preparation and for their papers in seminars /workshops.
- Students are given computer training in central computer lab for their “E-Commerce & Tally” Course at affordable fees.
Collaborative Arrangements :
- MoU with Institute of Chartered Accountants of India since 2013-14.
- MoU with Institute of Cost Accountants of India, since 2016.
- MoU with Institute of Company Secretaries of India since 2016.
- An agreement has been made with T.V.S. Lakshmi Education Trust to impart Soft Skills among Students. Whenever change is introduced, it is implemented in the next academic year.
- Collaborative arrangement with Justice K.S.Hegde Institute of Management NITTE for their project “Financial Inclusion and Beyond: Issues and Challenges”
Research activities :
- All the staff members of our department have research experience and they act as research supervisors for Master of Finance & Control, MBA., M.Phil., & Ph.D. students.
Students Achievements :
- Students show due focus to Professional courses, where in many students have cleared CPT, CS Foundation, CMA Foundation and also Intermediate courses while pursuing under graduate courses.
- Students have also frequently participated and presented papers in State/ National / International Seminars and Conferences.
- Students have won prizes in various Inter-collegiate meet and competitions.
- Students as active volunteer in NSS have also been awarded as best NSS volunteer.
- In various sports events many students have won shields in District/ State/ National level.
- Students have sponsored lunch for orphanage once in a semester and have planted nearly 300 plants as part of their CSR activity.
Staff Details (Regular)
- 1. Dr. A. Mayil Murugan, Associate Professor & Head. Profile
- 2. Dr. S. Selvakumar, Assistant Professor. Profile
- 3. Dr. K. Hema Malini, Assistant Professor. Profile
- 4. Dr. Y. Natarajan, Assistant Professor. Profile
- 5. Dr. R. Vennila, Assistant Professor (Ad hoc) Profile
- 6. Advocate G. Jeyasree, Part time lecturer.
- 7. CA. S. Eugene Gunasekaran, Part time lecturer.
Staff Details (Self-Finanicng)
- 1. Mr.S. Ramachandran, M.Com, M.Phil, M.B.A, - Assistant Professor
- 2. Mrs.R. Subhashini,M.F.C, M.Phil, - Assistant Professor
- 3. Ms.V.S. Srilakshmi,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 4. Mr.G. Balaji,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 5. Mr.A. Srinivasa Ragahavan,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 6. Mrs.S.Vijayaprasannadevi,BBA.,M.Com.,M.Phil.,DACT.,(Ph.D) - Assistant Professor
- 7. Mrs.G. Sreedevi,M.Com, M.Phil, NET, JRF - Assistant Professor
- 8. Mrs.A. Suguna,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 9. Mrs.G. Sindhu,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 10. Mrs.S. Suba,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 11. Ms.M. Anitha,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 12. Mrs.J. ArunPriya,M.Com, M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 13. Ms.P. Sindhu,M.Com,(CA), M.Phil - Assistant Professor
- 14. Ms.A. Suganya,M.Com,(CA), M.Phil - Assistant Professor
Sucession Of Hod's :
|Prof.C.S.Krishna (Principal Retd.)||M.Com.LLb||1950-82||1950-82
|Prof.P.Ramachandran (Vice Principal)||M.Com.,M.Phil||1970-2013||1982-2007
|Prof.R.Adhisethuramanathan||M.Com., MBA., M.Phil||1976-2011||2007-11
|Prof.C.Natarajan||M.Com. MBA M.Phil.,||1986-2013||2011-13
|Dr. I.Mohamed Shaw Alem||M.Com., M.Phil., Ph.D||1986-2015||2013-15
|Dr.A.Mayil Murugan||M.Com., MBA., M.Phil., FCMA., Ph.D||2015- Till Date||2013-15
Lab & Library Gallery
Gallery Document Download